Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Today

I am not drifting today. I seem to have a tenuous grip on things as they are. I know who I am at the moment, but I am not quite sure who I am supposed to be. I am a young Nigerian man, living and working in Kigali, Rwanda - on one of those development technical assistance programs.

What should I muse about today. Should I muse about being a Nigerian in this sad, funny world? Rage against the system and the politics and the pride and the shame and the disappointment and the cruel, cruel hope that leads to more disappointment and more hope in the vicious cycle that I hope will break before I quench. But that is not fun.

Should I indulge again in my favourite drug - melancholy, and wander a little along the emotional corridors of my past? I do that a lot. Even when I'm not indulging, I cannot escape the melancholia that follows me about like a pesky, unwanted friend. Always turning up, always present and who by virtue of alwaysbeingthereness becomes your best and most familiar friend.

Or maybe today I will be happy. Share my happy places in the hope that I would be surrounded by its reflections and in doing so increase my happiness in multiple folds. But then again, Dear Reader... I am afraid. Afraid of letting you into my secret places...letting you into places no woman (or man) has gone before.

At any rate, I am late for a meeting... Catch y'all later.

I gotta go.

Peace to the Middle East

7 comments:

adumaadan - Blacktinkerbell said...

Welcome to blogville

amahrah said...

...please please my friend....let us in, afterall....God put man and woman where neither had been before...and look how it all turned out (make of this what u will)...

lost-not yet found said...

amarachi... I made of it what I would and... Shame on you! How could you!

dScR?Be said...

lerrus in jooor

Anonymous said...

welcome to blogsville my beautiful samson... i'm here now gorgeous...open the door...

Nonya said...

Did you really hesitate to let people in? Why would you falter when opening your door when you expect people to open theirs so easily to you? – Curious MJ

miz-cynic said...

U ARE ON BLOGSVILLE , I ASSURE U "U DONT HAVE THE WEIRDEST STORIES"....NO ONE RILY DOES AT EAST UNTIL THE NEXT PERSON VEN MORE WEIRD THAN U ARE COMES ALONG.